Set on an inlet of the Kenai Peninsula, Seward is a unique, and quintessentially Alaskan city where towering mountains and glaciers meet the sea. Because of it’s ideal location, there are endless things to do in Seward Alaska. This is a place where history, nature and wildlife effortlessly overlap. There is much to get to know in this corner of Alaska and just being here for one night will leave you wanting more. You’ll want to leave enough time for the magic and beauty of this place to sink into your soul. We offer the best options for lodging while visiting this part of the world, from the 3 hotels we own and operate you can go on world class adventures minutes from where we are located. Book your room at one of our 3 Seward hotels today to visit this once in a lifetime place!
10 Fun Things to do in Seward Alaska
Situated on the doorstep of Kenai Fjords National Park, with views of glaciers and the ocean, Seward is an outdoor enthusiast’s dream come true. There is also unexpected history and culture to discover as well. Whether you are looking for an exhilarating adventure or want to understand whats makes this unique town so special, there are many things to do in Seward Alaska that will keep you busy for days. Just one or two nights in this spectacular place is definitely not enough! We have managed to narrow this list down to the 10 best things to do in Seward Alaska this summer.
- Exploring Kenai Fjords National Park is a must of things to do in Seward Alaska. There are multiple fjords boat tours to choose from to get you out and away from the crowds and into some serious wildlife viewing! From sea otters to harbor seals to bird watching, the diversity of animal life here is unparalleled. Did we mention whale sightings!? Depending on where you take a tour you may have the opportunity to see these magnificent creatures up close. You may also want to stretch your legs and go for a hike. Get an up-close view of a glacier, walk on the Harding Icefield, or take a naturalist hike.
- Discover Resurrection Bay by getting a water taxi to drop you off at numerous secluded coves around the bay. This is the ultimate way to get away from it all and relax.
- From Resurrection Bay, hike to Caines Head, rated one of Alaska’s top 10 hikes. You can either walk the 5-mile coastal trail or choose to hike along the mile-long beach. Gorgeous views will not disappoint!
- Learn all about what it takes to be a part of a dogsled team by taking a wilderness Dogsled Ride and Tour. You’ll ride a dogsled through Alaska’s wilderness where you will take a tour of the kennel and meet some husky puppies! This tour runs year-round as in the summer sleds feature wheels to get you around.
- Visit the Alaska Sealife Center. This facility is an excellent way to be able to see many varieties of Alaska’s wildlife up close while also educating yourself about the animals and their habitats as this is a research institute as well. Maybe a great place to start out and is a must-see of things to do in Seward Alaska!
- If you have some downtime between tours or need a low key activity taking a stroll along Seward’s Waterfront Park may be just what you need. Located north of the Sealife Center, this walk takes you along Seward’s harbor. Keep your eyes peeled for wildlife and views of Resurrection Bay.
- Get amazing views of glaciers right from the water by kayaking around Kenai Fjords National Park. Several shops in Seward rent kayaks and offer guided tours.
- If it’s raining out a good indoor option is a visit to the Seward Museum. Discover the culture and past of this place along with learning about the areas first inhabitants and rise of industries that helped establish the Seward we know today. The museum is located in the Seward Community Library.
- Indulge in rich local Alaskan flavors by dining out at many of the downtown Seward restaurants. Fuel up your adventures beforehand or reward yourself with a local seafood dinner.
- Make everything easy for yourself by letting us do the work and take an excursion with us! With Seward Hospitality Group we take the guesswork out and set you up for an ultimate Alaskan Adventure. On our Appetite For Adventure tour, we’ll hike to the Exit Glacier in Kenai Fjords National Park, go gold panning, and meet some reindeer. We also offer The Tasteful History of Seward Tour that takes guests on a tour of downtown Seward historic sites as well as learning about the Iditarod trail, railroad history, and the 1964 earthquake. We will also go to the Alaska Sealife Center and taste local food.
The Best Hotels for your Stay in Seward this Summer
With so many things to do in Seward Alaska, just staying 1 or 2 nights will have you wishing you had booked a longer, 3 or 4-night stay in this incredible spot! Making sure you have a quality place to stay those 3, 4, or 5 nights is where we come in. With Seward Hospitality Group you have the choice of staying comfortably at one of our 3 owned and operated hotels in Seward. If RVing is your style we also own and operate Preacher’s Pond RV Park, where you can get just outside of town and experience Alaska the way its meant to be experienced, out in nature. Stay with us, enjoy this list of things to do in Seward Alaska, and you are sure to have an unforgettable vacation. Book your adventure to Seward today!