Seward AK is one of the most picturesque destinations in the world! Located on the Kenai Peninsula next to Resurrectiona Bay, this quintessential Alaskan town offers breathtaking views of mountains, glaciers, and the ocean. Being the gateway to Kenai Fjords National Park also offers a plethora of opportunities to explore the great outdoors. Most folks visit during the summer months to take advantage of the mild temperatures and better weather. March and May are also quite popular due to this being the whale migrating season. What many people aren’t aware of is that Seward AK is an excellent destination year round as well. There is much to do in this little seaside Alaskan town in 2021!
We are ready to welcome you to this extraordinary corner of the world! We own and operate 3 downtown Seward AK hotels that are conveniently located in close proximity to all the exciting things to see and do here. Our cozy and comfortable accommodations are the perfect place to relax after a day’s adventure and exploration.
If you are looking for the perfect place to grab a bite to eat we also just happen to own and operate 6 incredible restaurants and eateries downtown. We can help you find the perfect meal to start your day off right or end it on a high note. If you are ready for the ultimate Alaskan vacation in 2021 with pleasant lodging that is located near most Seward attractions, book your stay with us today!
The Best Things to do in Seward AK
When planning a trip to Seward AK you’ll need to allow time for all of the adventures that await you. This incredible spot is a nature lovers dream come true! Whether you are hiking to views of immense glaciers, driving along the scenic Seward Highway, or checking out the unique downtown area with it’s shops, eateries, and art, you are sure to have an unforgettable time in this one of a kind town. Here are the 10 best things to do in Seward AK in 2021!
- Because Seward sits on the jaw-dropping Resurection Bay there are many opportunities to head out on a boat tour or glacier and wildlife criuse. Most operations offer half and full day excursions to see tidewater glaciers close up, as well as a variety of marine wildlife such as whales, otters, seals, and more! Major Marine Tours runs cruises in Kenai Fjords National Park to go see Grey Whales and Orcas. Seward Ocean Excursions offers year round boat tours to places like Aialik Bay and Bear Glacier to check out the marine life and seabirds that reside there. If you are looking to stop at a secluded island for dinner Kenai Fjords Tours offers a tour to Fox Island to enjoy a meal surrounded by the majesty of nature.
- Seward AK sits at the doorstep of one of the most breathtaking national parks. Kenai Fjords National Park holds many opportunities to get out and explore the Alaskan wilderness. Hike to Exit Glacier for an unforgettable perspective of what an actively receding glacier looks like. A walk up on the Harding Ice Field will have you experiencing what the last Ice Age must have been like. The park offers ranger-led walks as well. If you are here in the winter there are areas open for snowmobiling, cross-country skiing and snowshoeing.
- The Alaska Sealife Center is a must see when visiting Seward AK! This public aquarium serves as Alaska’s only permanent marine mammal rehabilitation facility. Guests learn about the marine ecosystem as well as the research and conservation efforts done by staff.
- Try out the ultimate Alaskan adventure by going dogsledding! At Seavey’s Ididaride you can head out to Exit Glacier behind a team of dogs or try some flightseeing with a helicopter glacier dog sled tour and combine all the adventures! Seward Helicopter Tours also takes guests out for an unforgettable scenic flight over the Godwin glacier and a 30 minute sled dog ride. At Turning Heads Kennel they are passionate about sharing what the musher lifestyle is all about. They offer summer and winter tours. Most dog sled operations include cuddling adorable sled dog puppies as well!
- A memorable way to experience Seward AK is by heading out on a fishing charter boat. Whether you are an expert or are just starting out there is a charter for you. Fishing guides take guests to incredible locations through out Resurrection Bay and beyond to catch a variety of salmon, halibut, rock fish and more! Along the way you’ll spot wildlife such as otters, harbor seals, and seabirds. Places like Alaskan Northern Outfitters, Adventure Sixty North, ProFish-n-Sea Charters, and Crackerjack Sportsfishing Charters have staff who love what they do and will teach those who want a lesson. They are there to give you some pointers on the exciting sport of fishing in Alaska and to make your trip successful.
- Be sure to take a stroll through downtown Seward AK to visit the many locally owned shops, eateries, and to see the many murals that adorn the buildings in the “mural capital of Alaska”. Waterfront Park along beautiful Resurrection Bay has picnic areas, beach access, and a trail lined with historical markers.
- Driving out along the Seward Highway is a must when visiting this part of Alaska. The road travels to and from Seward to Anchorage. Along the way, you’ll want to stop and explore stunning locations like Beluga Point, Turnagain Arm, and the town of Girdwood. If you need to get out of the car and stretch your legs there are many places along the highway to access hiking trails and explore this breathtaking place.
- A truly unique experience in Seward AK is to go for a daytrip to Anchorage by train! The Alaska Railroad Coastal Classic train will take you through gorgeous landscapes and wilderness not accessible any other way. This is sure to be an unforgettable adventure!
- You can takein the town of Seward AK and Resurrection bay from above by hiking Mount Marathon. An annual race is held here where participants start in downtown Seward then run up Mount Marathon and down the backside.
- Kayaking around Resurection Bay and the surrounding areas is one of the best things to do in Seward AK! This relaxing and quiet activity gets you out and away from the crowds so you can focus on the beauty of this incredible place. Kayak Adventures Worldwide, Liquid Adventures, and Sunny Cove Kayaking offer guided, small group trips to stunning locations.
The Best Lodging in Seward AK
With all of the fun and interesting things to do and see in Seward you’ll definitely want to stay for 3, 4, or 5 nights to be able to experience all that this amazing town has to offer! By staying in one of our 3 downtown hotels you will be conveniently located near all of the sights, activities, and locations you came here to see. Our comfortable accommodations are the best place to rest up and rejuvenate for your next day’s adventures. If you are looking for the perfect place to get a delicious meal we can help you out by suggesting one of our 6 restaurants and eateries that we also own and operate.
Perhaps you want a great place for your RV? You are in luck! Peacher’s Pond, our quiet and secluded RV park located just outside of town, is the best place to really get away from it all and relax. If you are ready for the ultimate Alaskan adventure in 2021, book your stay with us today!