The things to do at Kenai Fjords National Park this winter is an extensive list full of outdoor adventure that is sure to make memories that will last a lifetime! Exploring this fantastic place is especially magical during the winter months when crowds are down and the park is covered in a blanket of snow! A visit here during the snowy season is something that very few get the opportunity to experience. The rewards of exploring Kenai Fjords National Park during this time will be well worth the effort and you are sure to not be disappointed.
No need to worry about where you will be staying as we own and operate 3 conveniently located downtown hotels in Seward. We offer a cozy, and comfortable place to unwind and relax after a day out in the cold and playing in the snow. We can help you find a delicious meal to enjoy at one of our 6 restaurants also located in Seward.
If you happen to arrive via RV, have a stay at Preacher’s Pond, our quiet RV park just outside of town. With the many options of things to do at Kenai Fjords National Park this winter, you’ll be wanting a 3, 4, or 5-night stay with us to be able to really experience this incredible place! If you are ready for the ultimate Alaskan vacation this winter, book your stay today!
Things to do at Kenai Fjords National Park
If you want to immerse yourself in the quintessential Alaskan experience, visiting during the winter is one of the best ways to do just that. Kenai Fjords National Park is one of the most remote national parks in the U.S. You’ll surely feel as if you are in the middle of a winter wonderland wilderness!
Get up close to a glacier and imagine how it shaped the massive landscape. Feel the invigorating cold air whip past your face on a dogsled. Listen to the crunch of the snow beneath your snowshoes. Winter is a unique time of year to be here! Here are the 5 best things to do at Kenai Fjords National Park during these colder, darker, magical months.
- Head out on the adventure that most comes to mind when thinking about an Alaskan winter. A dog sled ride and tour is a not to be missed excursion when visiting Seward. Of all the things to do at Kenai Fjords National Park, this should be at the top of your list! Bundle up for a tour to Exit Glacier with Ididaride Sled Dog Tours, Inc. where you can mush your own 5-dog team on this 15-mile round-trip.
- Snowshoeing is a relaxing way to experience the Seward, Alaska wilderness. During the winter months when the road to Exit Glacier is closed you can arrange for a shuttle to pick you up and take you to the Exit Glacier Nature Center, where trails begin, with Adventure Sixty North. Rent a pair of snowshoes and bundle up for a hike to the glacier. A classic activity among things to do at Kenai Fjords National Park.
- With Kenai Backcountry Adventures you’ll have the chance to try some backcountry skiing. This is definitely the most adventurous out of all the things to do at Kenai Fjords National Park this winter. These world-class trips are lead by professional guides ready to set you up with the perfect skiing adventure. There are several options including the use of ski planes to access zones off the beaten path.
- A boat charter in the winter is a surprisingly epic way to experience Alaska in the winter. With Seward Ocean Excursions boats are equipped with a cabin heater and hot drinks for guests so as to keep everyone warm, happy, and enjoying the ride. You’ll see snowy beaches, gorgeous winter scenery, and wildlife such as otters, seals, seabirds, and orcas. Miller’s Landing offers several winter tours including a tour on a catamaran that fits up to 16 passengers.
- If kayaking is more your speed, there are plenty of options among the things to do in Kenai Fjords National Park during the winter. Adventure Sixty North offers kayak rental including life vests, paddles, and skirts. If you prefer a tour you can go on a winter kayaking, sightseeing, and beachcombing trip with Miller’s Landing. Imagine gliding silently over the cold surface of the water. Of all the things to do at Kenai Fjords National Park this winter, this is the most serene and peaceful.
The Best Seward Lodging
With all the things to do at Kenai Fjords National Park this winter, you’ll need a cozy place to rest up for your next day’s adventures. At Seward Hospitality Group our 3 centrally located hotels are set up with your comfort and convenience in mind. We are near all of the incredible attractions and activities this little Alaskan town is known for.
We can help you find the perfect place to grab a meal as we also operate 6 Seward restaurants, that all offer a variety of dishes. Preacher’s Pond, our RV park, is a quiet and secluded spot for those who want to get further away from it all. With all of the things to do at Kenai Fjords National Park this winter, you’ll want to stay 3, 4, or 5 nights to be able to take in all this beautiful place has to offer! If you are ready to check off many items on your bucket list with the ultimate Alaskan vacation, book your stay with us today!